Our Christmas Photo

Our Christmas Photo

Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Mid-summer's Night Dream

9/20/12- 15 days and counting until we head back to Latvia for our 2nd of 3 trips!  In just 20 days, we will no longer be a family of 3; for in 20 days, we will stand before the Orphan Court and agree to be a family of 5!  In a mere 40 days, the adoption will be final in the court system as the 20 day period closes in which someone could contest the adoption.  Then we will return to Riga for a week of Embassy appointments to finalize the immigration of our girls.  Once we land, there will be 2 new Americans in the USA! 
This summer has been a mixed bag of emotions.  We have experienced a lot of new feelings, tested a lot of discipline methods, watched and evaluated attitudes, and I am happy to say that Mark and I have survived, grown and bonded better with them than I really thought we would.  Now, it hasn't been without it's bad days; but, they have been 'days', not weeks or months! 
It has been interesting to watch the relationship between Rita and Lera.  Since I've never seen a sister relationship up close, I've learned a lot about girls, and particularly, TEEN girls!  They are also discovering what it means to be sisters, even though they both have biological siblings!  I am beginning to know the different tones of their voices and what attitude will soon be displayed.  I'm seeing what brings true happiness, and what causes stress.  I am sometimes still surprised when Lera curls up in my lap in the rocking chair, but I love that opportunity to simply hold and rock her for as long as she lets me.  I've been so proud of how Rita has pressed into studying and reading books for school.   I've seen the two of them comfort each other, and then cause the other great pain (sometimes physical, but more often emotional).  I've heard the laughter of pure joy as they ride with their dogs in the back of the truck, as a million stars twinkle in the night sky above them, and they point with excitement as they identify some of the constellations!  I've fought their independent, rebellious streaks and gotten irritated at their neediness.  I've battled feelings of guilt while at work, knowing they are home, bored and missing me (and so thankful that they miss me!).  I've cried tears of joy and tears of desperation.  Both were healing!  I've prayed for them, about them, and in spite of them...and that also was healing!  I've been anxious to get to this day, yet hoping time would almost stand still so we don't miss a moment spent together.  They are the highlight of my day, and the reason I'm exhausted at night.  I love them with all my Momma heart (except for the part that belongs to my son) and I'm so happy to finally be able to say, "these are my daughters"!  They are my dream come true! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment