Our Christmas Photo

Our Christmas Photo

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Still chomping...

So, all of the paperwork is done for our updated home study!  FBI Fingerprint results are back...just need to copy and send all of the originals to New Beginnings.  Olevia will be here tomorrow at 4 for the required visit to complete the update and then just wait for the Home Study to be reissued.  This process has been fairly quick!  (Gee, I think that's a first!)
We had a surprise when we got home today from my parents.  I took the dogs out for a walk and found 5 adorable puppies in our pasture.  No idea where they came from.  Asked a few neighbors, but no one is claiming them.  Anyone want a really adorable dog?  Looks like they have been well cared for and they are very clean.  One in particular loves to snuggle at your neck...ok, might have to keep that one!  Rita and Lera want a dog they can train.  Of course, we have Max, but he's about 7 and set in his ways.  Then there is Bella, but she is more 'my' dog I've been informed.  So, I've got 4 pups to give away...unless I can find the owner.  Can't afford 5 more dogs!
We have skyped all weekend with Rita and Lera.  Their Foster Mom also facebooked me to let me know that the girls have 'agreed to endure each other' for adoption.  They really are close, but I think the little green monster raises it ugly head as they are vying for their position in our family.  Rita said she would like to go to Vet Camp but Lera doesn't...so I mentioned that we would drop Rita off at 9 and pick her up at 5 and Lera and I would go find something to do.  Rita quickly said she wanted to go hang out with us!  It took a little pursuading to get her to agree to Vet Camp again.  I really see this as a great opportunity for Rita to have a role model who is achieving what she wants to do...be a Vet.  The Vet students are the camp counselors and the professors teach the sessions.  It will give her an opportunity to see if this is something she would really like to do, and if so, hopefully give her motivation to improve her school work.  Rita is extremely bright, but I think right now, she is lacking motivation, or vision, or confidence.  ??? 
We have had some wonderful conversations this weekend.  Rita is sick again and now running fever in addition to the stuffy nose.  I had sent a bottle of Robitussin back to Latvia with her after their FM asked if I could send some medicine that actually works.  They used to be able to buy 'Toclase' and she said it worked great; then, they took it off the shelf and all they have now are sugary syrups that don't work for cough or cold symptoms.  She said she doubted the Robitussin would help, but she also has the same cold that Rita has, and after using Robitussin, she said she needed to apologize and asked if I could bring more when we come!  I told Rita she needed to take some medicine, but she said it wouldn't work on her.  I told her it would stop the runny nose that is draining down her throat, into her lungs and stomach, and making her sicker.  She laughed and said I should be a doctor!  Lera got the Robitussin and Rita took it!  Hopefully she will get a good nights sleep. I guess she will miss another day of school tomorrow.  Her attendance has been really bad since returning to Latvia.  I don't know what to do about that...
They are now consistantly calling me mommy!  It is very sweet to hear and read.  This is a huge step that they have taken.  Lera also has requested a tutor for her English!!!!!  Soooo HUGE!!!!  Maybe by the time we get there, she will be willing to speak to us?  That would be so awesome!  I can't wait to have a real conversation with this child and see what is really in her heart!  Her eyes are the windows to her soul, but out of her mouth her heart will flow.  Can't wait! 
A fellow NHFC family has been very heavy on my heart this weekend.  They are in the process of adopting the two little gypsy girls we had initiated a referral for, but we withdrew after discussing them with some previous host families.  I knew they were beyond what I could manage, but my heart was so enamoured by them and I felt very led to continue praying for them.  I was so excited when I met the family that was hosting them this summer and again to find they were adopting them.  Now, while on their 1st trip to Latvia, the adoption has fallen through because of deception and confusion.  My heart breaks for the family and for the girls as they give up their chance of breaking free from this orphan spirit and coming into the spirit of adoption..  This is the fear I think every family and every child faces while in this process....will they back out?  Will they forget us?  Will they leave us too?  Not only are these emotions experienced by the child, but these are thoughts that are always in the back of my mind.  I'm thankful that Rita and Lera have pledged their committment to 'agree to endure' each other.  But I know it only takes one misconception, one person whispering lies in their ears, one deceiving spirit, and it can all fall apart.  I never thought in my wildest dreams that Emily would have said 'no'!  But, she did.  We almost punted this whole adoption thing, but I didn't want Emily to give up, and realized I couldn't give up either... And that led us to Rita, who led us to Lera!  And now we have an ever growing family tree with branches in Georgia, Virginia, New York, and Latvia...with every family who has loved these girls!  But, I won't feel secure until trip 2 is complete, knowing those concerns can turn into reality.  My heart hurts for you, Tabby! 
I wonder what the week of Feb 5th will hold for us?  Will we get word that the Fletchers' Dossier has been received in the Children's Ministry?  Will we get our referral this week?  Those are the next two steps... All of the families who got their referrals in January have now received their travel dates for late Feb- mid March.  Come on....we are ready for the gate to open so we can RUN!  We're tired of chomping at the bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment