Our Christmas Photo

Our Christmas Photo

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Hearts Desire for 2

9-25-11  The start of the blog!
We have learned so much over the past year.  We have learned things about ourselves, things about orphans, things about God, and things about technology...ok, still learning that stuff.  So what is this thing called adoption that we are pursuing...and why? 
Our journey started years ago with a thought.  After a miscarriage, and yet even before then really, the thought of adoption kept coming to me.  Wow, that was probably 7 or 8 years ago.  After the miscarriage I attended a Crabb Family concert where they passed out sponsor cards for Holt International.  I sponsored a girl from India, and as I was drawn to learn more about the orphans around the world, I began to open my heart to possibilities of a daughter; not through birth, but through choice.  One little girl in particular grabbed ahold of my heart.  I found myself praying for Vaishnavi so passionately, so broken, so intently. I can remember praying for God to bring her here, to give her a family, and selfishly to bring me a daughter like her. I looked into adoption, but there seemed to be barriers, whether they were real or just from my own fear of being rejected. So years went by with just hope remaining in my heart. Was it just not time?
In April 2010, we were introduced to New Horizons For Children based in Acworth, Georgia. We prayed about hosting a child from Eastern Europe and felt this was a good step. We decided to wait until Christmas to host and selected Rita as our host child. But soon after we chose her, another family started adoption with her. So we chose Emily and thought, after a wonderful host period, that she would be our daughter; but when she returned to Latvia, she changed her mind. After a few months of heart healing, we decided to host again. We searched the photolisting for one girl, but none really spoke to us. We thought about 2 girls and considered sisters Ksenija and Valerija. We found out they didn't want to share a room so we moved on. I had about given up and we were only a few weeks from the deadline. I was going to just select whoever was left and when I opened the listing, there was Rita!!! So we signed up to host her. Then we found out that she is in the same home as Ksenija and Valerija. We had a good host and about half way through, Rita asked if we could consider adopting Valerija as well. We looked into it and checked with the family hosting them, and found they were not wanting to adopt Valerija. So here we are now- with paperwork on it's way to Latvia and hopefully our first trip before the end of the year! It's good to allow God to chose your path!

No comments:

Post a Comment