Our Christmas Photo

Our Christmas Photo

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

They're here!

On Sunday morning, 12/11/11, we dropped Bella off for a play date(s) with David and Dian, and Rusty and Ginger, then headed the car east to Atlanta.  The drive was amazingly quick...just over 6 hours not because we were speeding, but because I don't think we encounted a single construction zone...of course, it was Sunday!  So after arriving in Atlanta, we ran a few errands to buy things I had forgotten to pack, like toothpaste, went to eat at Longhorn Steakhouse, and checked into the hotel.  After a quick nap, it was time to head to the airport.  I think I could go there 100 times and still get turned around as to the North terminal and South terminal!!!  If it were left to me, we would probably never find our car! 
So, after arriving, we met up with several other host families and enjoyed seeing everyone's posters.  We also met LeAnn's daughter, who was adopted about 4 years ago from Latvia.  She is now 17 and helping her mom with New Horizons airport arrivals!  She was so encouraging as she told us how well she has adapted to life in America and life in our school system.  That helped alleviate some fear I have of understaning how these girls will adjust.  It will happen...it will just take some time. 
So with video camera, Fuji camera, and iphone in hands, we anxiously await the group of kids who have now been traveling over 24 hours.  The kids from Rita and Lera's hometown left around 2 am on Sunday morning (which is about 6 pm Saturday night our time) and arrived at 10 pm Atlanta time!  That included a 7 hour layover at JFK and nothing  to do!  I sure admire the chaperones who have travelled with the kids and managed to not lose a single child! 
As they walked around the routunda, we try to spot Rita and Lera.  I finally see Lera, but never saw Rita...then began to wonder if something happened and she couldn't come.  She was saying Saturday that she was sick again...but then, of course at the back of the line, there was this young girl who has impressed upon our hearts because of her candidness, her heart of gold, her courage.  As we were called to come 'claim'  our children, it was such a relief to hold her and be able to tell her we were so glad she came back.  And then, Lera...this child who we don't yet know except through other's eyes.  With big, clear blue eyes that sparkle with such mischief, yet such a longing deep within.  I finally got to do what I wished I had done when they left Atlanta in the summer...I got to give her a big hug!  After our photo was taken, we headed to McDonalds with the Fletchers and Ksenija to catch up and hang out!  Everyone was so tired, so we soon parted ways and we took our 2 daughters back to our hotel to get a good nights sleep. 
When we arrived, they spotted two gifts I had placed on their bed...an early Christmas gift and welcome gift rolled into one... two iPod touches.  I wanted to get them something that would entertain them on the trip home as well as give them access to a translator, camera, video, and some internet access.  This little device is perfect!  They also came with gifts...Lera had knitted me a beautiful pink pillow and Baiba had knitted a warm pair of socks.  They also gave us a huge tin of Latvian chocolates...and when I say huge, I mean HUGE!  I don't know how Rita carried this around this whole trip! 
Over the next day, we got to see the interaction between Rita and Lera.  I was worried they would fight all of the time, but I've been pleasantly surprised (of course, it's only been a day), at how attentitive Rita is to Lera and how well Lera listens to Rita.  I think the hard thing will be getting Rita to step down as 'mom' and let me mother Lera.  Rita's heart for others just leaves me in awe of this child.  And yes, for those of you who have hosted Lera, she is still resistant to speaking English.  I don't think there is much she doesn't understand, but she sure won't speak it, which puts Rita translating everything!  Right now, we look to Rita to help us communicate... I guess we need to stop but it is so easy for everyone (except Rita). 
We've had some fun times, some laughs, some looks...  A few boring moments, but I think boring was good today!  With Christmas just 10 days away, hectic is just around the corner!  All in all, I've really enjoyed this host so far!  Now, on with the rest....

No comments:

Post a Comment